Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
[email protected] cs_posting@hotmail.com is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

It has always concerned me when the young amoung us are not taugh basic
skills such as how to change a tire, how to use a saw, how to...well
you get the idea...there are basic skills that one needs to deal with
the world we live in.

You can learn a lot about someone by handing them a simple tool like a
ratcheting socket wrench, especially to assemble something. The
inexperienced try to tighten the still loose bolt holding the end of
the ratchet handle and of course have it always falling off the nut...
the experienced finger tighten, palm the ratchet mechanism, and only
shift down to the end of the handle for the last little bit. Of course
we haven't thought about that since we were 8 or so... which is why
it's so shocking to see how a newbie treats the tool!