Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Robert Sturgeon Robert Sturgeon is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:57:09 -0500, "Jeff McCann"
wrote:

(snips)

Societal collapse is a macro-scale event. What happens to individuals
within that society are micro-level events. Individuals win and lose all
the time, even in a thriving society. Whole groups have been caused to
suffer many times by rapid changes within a complex society, yet the society
as a whole endures.

Sometimes it doesn't. At the height of the Roman Empire,
Rome had a population of around 1,000,000. By the late
Middle Ages, that was down to less than 10,000, and wolves
were roaming the streets. Various other societies have gone
through collapses that were as bad, if not worse. Contrary
to what we like to think, things can, in fact, go Very
Badly. There is no reason to suppose that we are somehow
immune.

It sucked to be a technology worker during the dot-com bust or an
aeronautical engineer when we retreated from manned space exploration. It
also sucked to be a buggy whip maker during the advent of the automobile.

I'm not talking about going through an economic shift, but
an economic/societal collapse. Different story...

--
Robert Sturgeon
Summum ius summa inuria.