Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fixing Shelves to Plasterboard Walls

Terry W. wrote:

According to the stud detector i've used, the studs behind the plasterboard
are in totally the wrong places to screw the metal strips to - that is if
the weight is going to be distributed evenly.

You could cut out a section of plasterboard and stick battens across the
wall screwed to the studs, with the uprights then screwed to the battens.

Failing that if you must use the PB directly use a decent fixing like:

and take the uprights right down to the floor if possible.

Can someone please off me advice as to what kind of fixings I need to hold
the strips to the plasterboard wall and what kind of weight i can put on
them. I need one set of 6' shelves (3 shelves) and one set of 4' (3
shelves).

With long uprights, most of the load on the PB is in shear and not
tension. Hence the hollow wall anchors ought to work quite well. I have
hung rads from these without any problem in the past.

--
Cheers,

John.