Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Freezer pops outlet

Gabbard wrote:
Last night my Maytag deep freeze popped the outlet in our garage. I
hit the reset on the outlet and it popped it again right away. We left
the freezer unplugged (got everything out of it) and this morning I
tried again...same result. At first I thought it must be the outlet so
I plugged in a radio and it did fine. I then ran an extension cord
into my house and tried the freezer off an outlet in my kitchen. Same
thing, popped the outlet. So now I'm pretty sure it's the freezer.
It's only around a year old, but what could be going on with it that's
making it draw so much current? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jeff

..
GFCI outlets (so called "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters") work on
the principle that if there is a difference in the current flowing in
the live and and neutral wires, it MAY be due to a ground fault. So
the device trips for protection. GFCI are mandatory in many
jurisdictions for 'wet' or outside locations. And probably provide a
better level of protection when using an electric lawn mower, electric
shears in the garden etc.
However an unbalance may occur whenever any motor including,
compressors, start up.
For that reason it is recommended that such devices as feezers, fridges
etc. NOT be plugged into GFCI outlets. There are stories of people
coming back from vacation to a disconnected fridge/freezer ...........
phew!