Posted to rec.woodworking
alephnull alephnull is offline

Default Murphy Bed

In article G1pkg.55498$9c6.17102@dukeread11, Chris W
wrote:

I would like to put a Murphy bed in my room so I have been looking at
Murphy bed hardware kits and from what I can tell looking around the net
this one seems to be the best....

http://www.wallbed.com/

I think it is the same thing that Rockler sells. Can anyone tell me if
it is really any good and if it will stand up to every day use? I plan
on using it with an extra long twin bed. Folding up vertically not
horizontally. Any comments suggestions or recommendations?

Several years ago I built a Murphy bed using the wallbed kit (I think
-- I seem to recall a place in Kentucky or Tenn where I got it, but
cannot remember for sure -- I seem to recall a price about half the
current price)

The kit has two pistons and two sets of sturdy metal plates with the
hinge and piston mounts on them. Very sturdy.

Rather than build the bed as per 'normal' plans since the room had an
alcove in which the bed would just fit and could be covered, I simply
made the bed. For the base, I used the metal rails from the hollywood
frame I was replacing and screwed the support that normally goes under
the mattress to it. Only a small amount of wood was used -- 12 in by
12 in plates to connect the metal plates in the kit to the metal rails
and a headboard (normal height) with 12 inch sides coming forward to
support the other metal plate and the mount for the air piston.

Althought the plans seem to give some distances for the distance from
the hinge to the piston mount, it may take a bit of playing with as it
obviously depends on the weight of the mattress and support. I fine
tuned it with a couple of two pound weights at the end of the bed.

A good welder and I say good as the kit was made of 1/4 in steel, could
make the kit for much less. I don't know the strength of the pistons
-- I attempted to compute what would be reqauired and came up with
several hundred pounds. I attempted to measure the piston, but it
maxed out the bathroom scales I had at 300 pounds.

The pistons have facinated me for a couple of other projects and have
yet to find a good source for them. NAPA does carry some, but no
specs.

My murphy bed is used only on an intermitant basis. I am most happy
with it.