Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Robert Sturgeon Robert Sturgeon is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:34:47 -0400, LiRM
wrote:

On 5 Aug 2006 07:27:58 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

It has always concerned me when the young amoung us are not taugh basic
skills such as how to change a tire, how to use a saw, how to...well
you get the idea...there are basic skills that one needs to deal with
the world we live in. Well this article shows what that lack of
training, due to whatever reason, means as they get older.

When I drive through a neighborhood, it is a rare garage that has
anything like a workshop within it anymore....a reflection of the lack
of interest or knowledge of the homeowner to work with their hands?

Do your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, the generation who
is succeeding us, have the basic skills that are needed in the world
today?

TMT

I grew up around an uncle who literally rebuilt his entire house.

My father literally built his house -- cement work,
plumbing, framing, siding, wiring, roofing, everything. I
am somewhat embarrassed that I will probably hire my roof
replaced. It comes down to 2 factors: he HAD to (no money);
and I don't want to. I'm sure I could redo the roof if I
really needed to. I used to do stuff like that all the
time. Now I'm lazy (and old) -- and I want it done right,
not cheaply.

(rest snipped)

--
Robert Sturgeon