Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Robert Sturgeon Robert Sturgeon is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

On 5 Aug 2006 20:44:41 -0700, "hex"
wrote:

Robert Sturgeon wrote:

A serious question, but one most of us don't like to think
about, is -- what skills might be needed in a
post-post-modern (a.k.a. post-SHTF) economy? And could we
meet such needs, if necessary? Probably not, which leads us
to the possibility of Tim May's "massive die-off," which
people like Jared Diamond assure us is possible when any
society/economy collapses. It is probably true that the
more symbolic, abstract, and detached from the production of
real goods a society/economy becomes, the more likely it is
to suffer a catastrophic collapse.

Fun, huh???

One man's catastrophe is another's opportunity. Raise your kids to
understand both worlds and they'll come out alright.

Too late. They're both grown. One works in a big city as
the CFO of a non-profit foundation and the other is a
temporarily retired (children to raise)
writer/reporter/political aide who is married to a lawyer.
All are successful in the symbolic economy and I have no
influence over them -- at all. If TSHTF, I can only hope
they can escape the chaos and start over. All I can do is
provide them with a slight chance, IF they "make it out."
Of course, I also hope the S never does HTF, but I have no
influence over that, either.

(rest snipped)

--
Robert Sturgeon