Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Fixing Shelves to Plasterboard Walls

Terry W. wrote:
I want to fix some shelving to plasterboard walls. Internal walls in
a modern house.
The shelving I want to use is the adjustable type - strips of metal
into which brackets are slotted.
The shelves will hold books, paper etc. some quite heavy.

According to the stud detector i've used, the studs behind the
plasterboard are in totally the wrong places to screw the metal
strips to - that is if the weight is going to be distributed evenly.

Can someone please off me advice as to what kind of fixings I need to
hold the strips to the plasterboard wall and what kind of weight i
can put on them. I need one set of 6' shelves (3 shelves) and one
set of 4' (3 shelves).

I thank you in anticipation.

Terry W.

As the others have said, you cannot get a good enough fixing on PB for
anything substantial.
You CAN get good fixings on the studs, providing you use good screws etc and
are careful that they are driven squarely in (in the centre of each stud to
avoid splitting)
As far as measurements of shelving etc go, these are dictated by the
studding - IE, if the studs are at 16 inch centres, the length of your
shelves have to be multiples of this, 16, 32, 48 etc, otherwise they will
sag at the ends.