Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Neutral/ground issue

Tuyen wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

Open neutral. Induced voltage.

That would definitely explain zero voltages when breaker is off. And if
I short neutral and ground there's only 0.06 mA flowing.

So: given the induced voltages and wire guage is it possible to figure
out approximately how far back is the break in the neutral wire?

In theory, yes, but you'd need precise information on, e.g., the
resistance of all intermediate connectors that would probably require
you to disassemble the wall boxes anyway, and in the course of doing
that you'd probably uncover the problem.

Plus, I think the calculation would be pretty inconclusive without
measurements more precise than you'd be able reasonably to achieve.

So I think the bottom line is that it's a good thought but impractical.

I removed the receptacle and am making all readings with the bare
wires.

Thanks for all the fast responses!

-T