Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Neutral/ground issue

"Tuyen" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a problem outlet that reads 30V (digital voltmeter) between
neutral and ground, 88V between hot and neutral and 120V between hot
and ground. The outlet is on a branch circuit; it appears to be the
only outlet on the branch. Other branches of the circuit show the
normal 120V between hot and neutral. I shut off all the breakers at the
panel except the breaker for the problem outlet. The voltage readings
do not change. I then shut off the breaker for the problem outlet (all
breakers now off) and the outlet now shows zero voltage between all
wires. The voltages at the panel appear normal. Also: there is no
continuity between ground and neutral at the problem outlet. This would
suggest an open neutral, but what would cause the voltage differentials
on the neutral wire if it was open? There isn't an obvious back load
soure such as an appliance.

I'm going to attempt to find out where the branch ties in, but it's a
1950's split level with pretty inaccessible wiring. I hate older
houses... help!

-T

When you have an open neutral then the voltage readings are unpredictable
depending on what is connected down stream. For example a light bulb will
connect hot to the open neutral. Even though the bulb will not be lit
(switch on), you will get voltage in the open neutral via the bulb filament
.. An outlet tester as someone suggested will not give correct readings
unless you remove or turn off all loads on that circuit. Sometimes this is
hard to do if you have direct wired or hidden stuff on the circuit such as
smoke alarms, or a doorbell transformer etc.

It is also possible that your neutral connection somewhere has a high
resistance connection. Where the wires are loose and overheated, a carbon
bridge may let some current through giving the strange reading.

Kevin