Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default suggested weight for a lathe that has a 30" diam capacity

Judging by the advertised specs. of lathes on the market with 30" diam.
capacity, it's hard to believe a 200 lb. general purpose lathe could be
designed to swing 30". Is it an unmodified machine, professionally
designed, engineered and manufactured?
I realize that mass alone doesn't determine a machine's capabilities,
but that seems too skimpy to start even 30" platter blanks, unless maybe
the blank is round, homogenous, lightweight and balanced. I don't think
an additional 150 lb. will allow a 200 lb. lathe to swing 30" of
anything you are likely to turn.

Bracing to a wall or ceiling or fixing to the floor might end your
waltz, but you two will sure shuffle in place or more likely the
bearings and headstock castings will jitterbug or rock & roll. Probably
better to be a 'wall flower' than dance to the total exhaustion of both
of you. Just my own experience and opinion, which may not be
typical.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter