Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default suggested weight for a lathe that has a 30" diam capacity

In my opinion, 425 rpm is too fast to start just about ANY piece which
is off balance. The heavier it gets, and the greater the diameter, the
more dangerous it becomes.

The problem is mitigated a great deal if you are able to use tailstock
support. Without tailstock support, I'd go for a coffee break if I were
sharing a shop with you and you fired up a new project such as we are
discussing.

Bill

bizHB wrote:
my lathes slowest speed is 425 rpm. the biggest piece ive turned so far
was 20" but i got the lathe because i liked the idea of being able to
do 30" i just havent been able to get my hands on any chunks that size.
i think pieces over 20" will be at worst square and a bit off center.
but most will be close. the pieces till 20" will most likely be logs
cut the length of thier diam and them turned sidegrain. so i guess im
asking how much weight is needed to hold down a 20" diam by 8" wide
(most likely green) branch or trunk wood turning sidegrain?
just as a comparison i looked at the oneway 1224 lathe and it weighs
300lb. do people who own that lathe feel that its sturdy and heavy
enough or did they add more weight?
thanks
~B