Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Neutral/ground issue

ToMh wrote:

"Tuyen" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a problem outlet that reads 30V (digital voltmeter) between
neutral and ground, 88V between hot and neutral and 120V between hot
and ground. The outlet is on a branch circuit; it appears to be the
only outlet on the branch. Other branches of the circuit show the
normal 120V between hot and neutral. I shut off all the breakers at the
panel except the breaker for the problem outlet. The voltage readings
do not change. I then shut off the breaker for the problem outlet (all
breakers now off) and the outlet now shows zero voltage between all
wires. The voltages at the panel appear normal. Also: there is no
continuity between ground and neutral at the problem outlet. This would
suggest an open neutral, but what would cause the voltage differentials
on the neutral wire if it was open? There isn't an obvious back load
soure such as an appliance.

I'm going to attempt to find out where the branch ties in, but it's a
1950's split level with pretty inaccessible wiring. I hate older
houses... help!

-T

Buy one of those test plugs that will show what is miswired or most likey
open then replace the outlet.

I don't see how that will tell anything not already known.