Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Battery memory on NiCad cordless drill

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 04:39:49 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:47:47 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

I have a Panasonic 12v (NiCads) cordless drill/driver with 2 batteries
and it seems to me that the batteries aren't holding a charge very well.
They are around 3-4 years old, lightly used. They seem to charge too
quickly. If I leave them in the charger after the charger shows them as
fully charged and let them trickle charge, will that top them up? I
haven't been doing that.

Is this a loss of capacity of the batteries? Is there some way I can
restore the capacity of the batteries? Any experience with these? Thanks
for any ideas, info, suggestions, etc.

Dan

I read the responses below that state you should not drain the battery
but when I googled
*NiCad Batteries Drain Completely*
there are articles that state you should drain them.
Here are a few of the articles....
http://www.nyu.edu/its/pubs/connect/...rdslaptop.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_3037_battery-life-laptop.html

Frankly, I have no idea which is correct (and I did see some articles
to the opposite) but if I'd suggest calling Panasonic tech service.

That's the problem with netnews and the Internet
in general. Lot's of incorrect stuff that gets
repeated over and over even by groups that should
know better.
Always check major manufacturers for the accurate
information when there is controversial information.

Yes, and that includes the opinions that ppl are posting here - who
knows which way to lean. Thats why I say calll Panasonic.