Posted to alt.home.repair
Bawana Bawana is offline

Default Finishing a Basement

Martik wrote:
"nateneu2424" wrote in message
m...
Handy man in traing here. I have a few questions in regards to
finishing a basement?

1) metal vs wood studs. I've never had a problem with water in
basement and was just wondering which would be the better option?

Metal can rust

But galvanized metal studs won't.

and is not as strong as wood,

So? You don't kill a fly with a sledge hammer.

wiring needs special protection from sharp edges

True, but that's no big deal.

2) How far off the cement walls typically are the studs placed to
frame the walls?

3) insulation: What r-value should i be looking for living in
Michigan? Is the foam board a better option that the rolls in the
walls?

R20, foam is much more expensive but will not absorb water like fiberglass
or cellulose.
Also foam needs no vapour barrier.

Make sure you airseal the walls

4) lastly would using greenboard be a overkill or should i just use
regular drywall.

Regular

Other:

You may also want to insulate the concrete floor for comfort.

Insulate above the ceiling for sound control and energy efficiency,
especially if you heat the basement room independently from the upstairs.

I've always regretted finishing my ceiling with drywall, looks better than
suspended but NO access!