Thirsty Viking

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

"Dan" wrote in message

"Such is the complacency these great men have for the smiles of their

prince
that they will gratify every desire of ambition and power at the expense

of
truth, reason, and their country."

- John Dickinson, 1771 -

"Richard Lewis" wrote in message
ink.net...
(Carl Nisarel) wrote:

Why do you gunners keep using that irrelevant and idiotic appeal to
emotion fallacy?

Idiotic? It happens hundreds of thousands of times a year. If you
don't see that as enough of a reason to answer the question, there's
no hope for you.

ral

Some people live in fear, others live.

Been that way for thousands of years...

The fearful ones buy guns, which may or may not improve their odds,
but does nothing to reduce their fear. In fact, if this group is any
indication, guns serve to heighten the fear of their owners.

Disagree with you on these assertions. Unless you add the fear of the
Gov't taking your gun away.

As an aside:

Any one know of any statistics on the rate of gun injuries based on
gun ownership (+/-)? I would think gun owner would, just by proximity,
have more injuries than non-owners, but have no actual information to
backup that hunch. The numbers published by gun enthusiasts do not
address this question, as near as I can tell (I could be wrong).

Of course you are right here, but the % is very small.

Obviously you can't commit suicide with a gun if you do not have
one Pills, slit wrists etc..... but those aren't gun injuries.

You can't accidently shoot yourself while sharpening a knife.

your child can't accidently shoot themselves or a friend while
showing off if there are no guns.

However all these are Very small incidence, one might say trivial
compared to the level of gun ownership (except of course to the
recipient of the wound, and thier associates)

I think the total I read was 73 gun deaths a year on average for these
type of accidental shooting (not suicide)

http://www.safechild.net/for_profess...tors_guns.html
an anti gun site.

"Many children live in homes with guns that are stored in an
accessible manner. An April 2000 study in the American Journal
of Health found that more than 4.7 million homes with more than
8.3 million children store guns unlocked, including about 946,000
homes with firearms unlocked and loaded and about 425,000 homes
with firearms unlocked, unloaded and with ammunition. "

ok 4.7 million homes with guns unlocked (loaded or unloaded)

"In 1999 alone, 88 kids were shot and killed unintentionally.
An estimated 10 times that number are treated in U.S. hospital
emergency rooms each year for nonfatal unintentional gunshot
wounds."

we will round up to 1000 gunshot wounds on kids unintentionally.

Chance is 1 in 4.7 thousand of an accidental shooting of a child in a
home with a gun in a given year.

"Firearms are the weapon of choice in suicides among children
ages 10 to 14. Of all suicides among kids aged 10 to 14, more
than four out of ten involved guns (103 of 242 victims or 42
percent)."

assumptions are math based, may differ...
4.7million homes/18 years = 261,111.1 kids per year
therfore 1,305,500 homes with children 10-14 approximately

Odds of one of your kids 10-14 committing suicide with your gun...
approximately 1 in 12,675

That is from anti gun statistics, and I have no idea what thier emergency
room estimate comes from.