Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Battery memory on NiCad cordless drill

Andrew Williams wrote in
news:050820061757313000%andrewSPAMALOT@williamsmus ic.com:

The traditional way to erase battery memory is to deep-cycle the
battery. For a drill/driver, I would use it until the thing hardly
turns at all, then find a way of clamping the trigger down so as to
completely drain the battery. You want to get it as close to 0VDC as
possible. After that, fully charge the unit and see if the memory has
been erased.

In article , Dan_Musicant
wrote:

I have a Panasonic 12v (NiCads) cordless drill/driver with 2
batteries and it seems to me that the batteries aren't holding a
charge very well. They are around 3-4 years old, lightly used. They
seem to charge too quickly. If I leave them in the charger after the
charger shows them as fully charged and let them trickle charge, will
that top them up? I haven't been doing that.

Is this a loss of capacity of the batteries? Is there some way I can
restore the capacity of the batteries? Any experience with these?
Thanks for any ideas, info, suggestions, etc.

Dan

then find a way of clamping the trigger down so as to
completely drain the battery.

Long/joined twistie ties, tie wrap, string are a few ways.