Posted to rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey Darrell Dorsey is offline

Default Shim for Porter Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Darrell Dorsey wrote:

I recently scored a good deal on a PC 5557 biscuit joiner. Unfortunately
it
is a Type 2. I have some ideas for making a shim, but if any of you can
pass on some ideas of how you made your shim, it would be appreciated.

Obvious way to make a shim is to cut it out of a soda can. If you need
thicker than that then just about any decent hobby shop has aluminum and
brass sheet stock in a variety of thicknesses.

The shim is needed for fence alignment on the face. I guess I wasn't clear,
in that I was asking the question to those who'd done the procedure on their
Type 2 557 joiners. I was interested to know how people that made their own
attached them to the face, and what kind of sandpaper did they use.

I made one for already, so I'm all set now.

I removed the anti-skid on the face and measured a gap of .0426 with feeler
gauges. I sat the joiner face on my scanner bed and made a copy (template).

My local hobby shop had some 0.04 polystyrene material. I had some nice
heavy duty double stick tape from Rockler. I also picked up some 120 grit
6" PSA disk. The stick on the disk seemed pretty strong. I cut out the
template, and temp glued it to the styrene. Cut out the styrene with some
scissors.

Then applied and trimmed out the tape and sand paper. Finally I applied
this to the face of the jointer.

I didn't trim out the slot. I let the joiner do that with a few test cuts.
So I now have a sort of zero clearance working on the cutting slot. The
finished shim is now slightly proud of the fence. I think this is going to
work great.

Darrell