Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Oil to Natural Gas Conversion Costs

Natural gas here in Nova Scotia is available to probably less than
1,000 homes at this time (virtually all of the natural gas produced in
this province is shipped off to New England, which is kind of a sore
point for many Nova Scotians).

Be that as it may, according to Heritage Gas, our local distributor,
natural gas currently costs $11.31 per GJ. On a heat content basis,
that's said to be the equivalent of paying $0.43 per litre for fuel
oil, $0.29 per litre for propane and $0.0407 per kWh for electricity.

Source: http://www.heritagegas.com/converting/Home/h_rates.asp

On Friday, my heating oil supplier (Scotia Fuels) quoted me $0.819 per
litre, which puts the relative cost of home heating oil at nearly
twice that natural gas. As of my last propane delivery this past
January, I paid Superior Propane $1.009 per litre, which places
propane at roughly 3.5 times the cost of natural gas. Lastly, Nova
Scotia Power charges $0.1013 per kWh, so electricity works out to be
about 2.5 times more costly (conversion efficiency aside).

Cheers,
Paul