Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default melted candle wax in drain pipes

"dee" wrote in message
oups.com...
A candle melted and leaked down into my washing machine. I thought
that I had it all removed but when I washed a load of clothes, the
draining water backed up into my tub and bathroom sink. There was red
candle wax all over the place. Needless to say now my bathroom and
washing machine drain pipes are stopped up. I've used 2 bottles of
sulfuric acid and this hasn't helped. Can anyone please tell me how to
dissolve the wax that is down in the pipes or please tell me how to fix
this problem.
Thanks

If all that is clogged is the drain outside of the washer, just use a
plumbing snake and try not to burn yourself on the sulphuric acid soup you
made. Almost nothing will dissolve wax at room temp at any kind of rate you
would want, you need to use mechanical means to scrape it.

If there is still acid pooling, pour in a box of baking soda to neutralize
it.