Posted to rec.woodworking
Baron Baron is offline

Default Musty smell in old furniture

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, thank you so much for the good advice. Can you answer the follow up
questions, please?

1. Wipe down the inside with Listerine or other such mouthwash. The

thymol
will kill off any remaining mold and mildew.

Should I use a liberal amount or just a damp cloth? I'm concerned that
the moisture will hurt the wood.

A fairly damp cloth. You appear to be aware of the problem with what
might happen if it is too wet.

2. Fresh air and sunlight.

Is there a risk that the sun will dry the wood out and damage it? Does
it work if the sunlight passes through a window first? Also are you
talking about persistent exposure or just a couple of hours here and
there?

The sun will not dry out the wood as it is already quite dry and will
adapt to it surroundings. I suggest a ful day. Just be aware of the
possible bleaching effect if it is a dark wood or a darkening effect if it
is a light wood.

3. Lastly, seal the inside with shellac followed by a very light

sanding.
The shellac step may not be necessary depending on how successful you

are
with the first two steps. The light sanding removes any roughness while
still keeping the wood sealed. Clothes will not snag on any rough wood.

Shellac as opposed to poly?

Do not use poly. It takes way too long to fully cure and will cause the
inside to smell of the solvents forever. Shellac is cheap, dries fast, and
is readily available at hardware stores.

Good Luck.

Thank you