Eric D

Default A new slant on Shop Air Piping

Anybody got
a shop air system of this complexity that DOESN'T leak. All joints are
above the slab so repair was doable but not necessary.
Leigh@MarMachine

I have in floor radiant heeting in my shop. All tubing and a lot of
the fittings and such were purchased from www.radiantec.com. The shop
is 1080sq ft and I use a standard 40 gal 34K BTU ho****er heater as
the heat source. It will maintain 55° F with outside temps at -15°.
The only down side is having to keep it on all the time as it takes
many days to come up to temp. My fuel is propane and it figures out
to about $35 a month to keep heated during peak cold months. Bottom
line, I really like it and would use this type of system in the future
if I ever build again. I have 700 feet of tubing in the floor and no
leaks so far. The systems is four years old now.

As far as air lines, my shop is located 150 feet from my house. My
air compressor is located in the basement of my house. I did this for
a number of reasons, but the key reason is much dryer air then out in
the shop to start with. In the winter the basement is heated and
central air keeps it dry in the summer months. I have a 3/4" black
poly pipe buried four feet deep running from the basement out to the
shop. In the shop I have the regulator that takes the pressure from
125 psi max to 80 psi. The entire shop is plumbed with the same 3/4"
black poly-pipe. The poly-pipe is the same type used for lawn
sprinkler systems except it is rated at 220psi @ 70°F I believe its
call Gold-Line. My system has over four years on it and has worked
great. I have mosture traps installed in the shop, however, I have no
moisture in the air or the traps. The hose from the house to the shop
works like a chiller, I think. It's cheep and will not shatter like
PCV. I purchased a 300 foot roll from Lowes for around $23.

Eric D