Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Maggots in dustbin (elimination thereof)

On 2006-08-05 21:09:57 +0100, "MikeH" said:

Our bin is only emptied every two weeks, but we've never had a problem
with smells, flies or maggots. All our veggie waste goes on a compost
heap. Any meat scraps, leftovers, etc, (cooked or otherwise), are
double-bagged and put in the bottom shelf of the freezer until the day
the bin is emptied. I use coloured bags so there's no chance of
confusing the stuff destined for the bin with the remainder of the
freezer contents. We don't have a massive amount of meat waste, so it
doesn't take much space in the freezer. Been doing this for years with
no problems at all.

Mike

This is all very well, but it shouldn't be necessary to have to mess
around like this.

Large amounts of council tax are collected and refuse collection is
about the most fundamental service that local authorities should
provide.