Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Readers Digest DIY manual

On 2006-08-05 18:34:05 +0100, John Stumbles said:

Anyone want a Readers Digest DIY manual from the late 1970s/early 80s?

Lots of neat projects to recover your furniture with Dralon, block up
those unsightly victorian fireplaces etc :-)

I've tried the local (Reading) library and Freecycle groups. It'd cost
about £5 to post.

Don't you want to keep it then?

Surely panelling the doors with hardboard and fitting plastic handles
will become fashionanable again....

I think I might have one of these as well. It's a grey ring binder
with two sections - one is techniques and the other is projects.

It's not as excruciating as American DIY books. I was thumbing
through one on bathroom remodelling today. As you do. There was a
section on fitting the WC - conventionally there is a soil pipe socket
in the floor (only 3", so I wonder about the Richards) and the bog sits
on it - i.e. connection inside the pedestal. Then there were
chapters on fitting the "tub" (bath) and "setting tile" (tiling).
Finally there was a photo of a guy stuffing a load of wiring with wire
nuts into a hole in the wall (before patching it and covering it with
"mud" (basecoat plaster).