Posted to alt.home.repair
Jake Jake is offline

Default Wet Insulation in Basement Walls

I recently purchased a home which was new construction. The home is a
two level split. The bottom level is a lookout basement. The basement
is currently unfinished. The basement walls consist of 12 inch block
(coming up about 36 inches) with a 2x4 wall framed and insulated inside
of the block. A standard 2x6 insulated wall sits on top of the block
and continues to the ceiling. All insulation is fiberglass and
everything is covered with a heavy poly.

My question: About a week after I purchased the home, I noticed that
there is a considerable amout of moisture behind the poly in several
areas of the basement. The majority of this moisture is in the 6
inches of insulation sitting parallel to the floor, on top of the block
between the exterior wall and the wall framed inside of the block. In
some locations, it appears that the moisture has migrated down the
wall, into the insulation in the interior 2x4 wall. I am assuming that
the block wall is "cold" and that there is condensation forming and
soaking into the insulation. Is condensation enough to completely
saturate the insulation, or does this sound more like water soaking
through the block from the outside? Is this common in an unfinished
basement with no heat/air conditioning, or is this something that I
should call my builder about right away? Are there any things that I
should look for to see if the builder skipped or missed something to
lead to this?

Thanks!