Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Cheap phone cord (related to cheap extension cords)

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

I went wireless long ago. Yea, someone might be listening in to my
calls, they to must have far too much time on their hands and I am
sure my calls are less interesting than the shopping channel.

Cordless telephony is JOB SECURITY for me and my coworkers. So much
so, in fact, that the repair service attendants ASK if the caller is
using one.

Everyone should have at least one CORDED phone to use in the event of
a electrical outage as they are "line powered" - powered from the
telco equipment.

Or a cell phone. Frankly my home phone service is now via cable. I
don't even have the capability for line power.

Also, they provide a convenient means to test at
the NID (Network Interface Device), if present.

Besides if they really want to listen in I believe with
the right equipment it would not be that difficult to listen
in to your typical wired phone.

You might be surprised at how difficult TAPPING a phone line is.
Unless done at the side of the house or, at most, the terminal
serving that premise, the tapper would have to have significant
technical expertise AND the company line records revealing the cable
assignments: Finding a single pair in a 900-pair, ready-access
splice isn't easy. Finding the exact binding post/position in a SAC
(cross-connect) box that has 2700 positions, without proper
assignments, would be nearly impossible.

A LEGAL tap is totally different. While it used to be placed close
to the target, it isn't any more. Technology has enabled a LEGAL
tapper to stay at his/her desk back at headquarters.

Interesting fact: The U.S. Supreme Court has held that cordless
telephony is NOT private, but cellular telephony IS. Go figure.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit