Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Cheap phone cord (related to cheap extension cords)

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

I went wireless long ago. Yea, someone might be listening in to my
calls, they to must have far too much time on their hands and I am sure my
calls are less interesting than the shopping channel.

Cordless telephony is JOB SECURITY for me and my coworkers. So much so, in
fact, that the repair service attendants ASK if the caller is using one.

Everyone should have at least one CORDED phone to use in the event of a
electrical outage as they are "line powered" - powered from the telco
equipment. Also, they provide a convenient means to test at the NID (Network
Interface Device), if present.

Besides if they really want to listen in I believe with
the right equipment it would not be that difficult to listen
in to your typical wired phone.

You might be surprised at how difficult TAPPING a phone line is. Unless done
at the side of the house or, at most, the terminal serving that premise, the
tapper would have to have significant technical expertise AND the company line
records revealing the cable assignments: Finding a single pair in a 900-pair,
ready-access splice isn't easy. Finding the exact binding post/position in a
SAC (cross-connect) box that has 2700 positions, without proper assignments,
would be nearly impossible.

A LEGAL tap is totally different. While it used to be placed close to the
target, it isn't any more. Technology has enabled a LEGAL tapper to stay at
his/her desk back at headquarters.

Interesting fact: The U.S. Supreme Court has held that cordless telephony is
NOT private, but cellular telephony IS. Go figure.
--

JR