Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default No boxes behind electrical outlets

On 2 Aug 2006 05:22:29 -0700, "/Bob" wrote:

We've discovered that part of our 30+ year old house has no boxes
behind the electrical outlets. The switches and outlets are just held
in position by the stiffness of the wires. Is there a straightforward
way to add boxes "after the fact" without tearing out wallboard?
Thanks for your suggestions.

/Bob

imho:

I can't see what you actually have, but from what you asked. You can
get electrical boxes that can be used after finish is installed. They
go by names like: Old-work boxes, remodel boxes, etc.

Some have wings that hold the box against the finished surface. You
will find these in big package stores. Some have internal screwss
that attach to studs, like the "one-box".

Before you start, I would first have you whole how checked by a
qualified electrician. if the previous work was done without boxes,
you might have other underlying problems.

Good luck,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com