Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Aaron is offline

Default drilling hole in cinder block load bearing wall?

Thanks, I was worried about disturbing the integrity of the wall itself but
I didn't know at what point (from a structural) point of view you could do
this. I am assuming if you punched too many holes or too large of a hole
that at some point cracks would appear and you would disturb the integrity
of the wall?

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Aaron :
I need to drill a small 1" passthru in a roughly 7' X 10' load bearing
wall,
will this hurt anything?

No. If the voids in the cinder block are filled with concrete
and/or rebar, it could be rather difficult. But that's rather
unlikely. You want to drill through a hollow. You probably
don't want to shatter the block (mostly from an esthetic
perspective), so don't get too violent with a hammer drill.

I've watched electricians punch holes in foundation cinder block
using hand sledges. This is for installing 2" PVC conduit for
service entrances, and the irregularities in the hole will
be hidden by the fittings and hole sealant. Surprisingly
neat holes tho.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est