Don Wilkins

Default How do tell a liquid from a solid?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:19:43 -0500, Tom Quackenbush
wrote:

,;Don Young wrote:
,;
,;I am not sure just how it might be accomplished, but I think the best
,;experiment would be to melt or freeze a decent size sample with a
,;thermocouple imbedded and a recording indicator. I think there would be a
,;temperature "knee" or plateau to define the phase changes.
,;
,; That sounds promising.
,;
,; I think my experiments are at an end for now, but the behavior of
,;lead/tin alloys between the solidus and liquidus temps remains a
,;mystery to me. Just what the heck are those Sn and Pb atoms doing?
,;
,; Thanks for the response.

Google "lead tin phase diagram" (with the quotes)

http://www2.umist.ac.uk/material/res...e/pbsndiag.htm

For a nice phase diagram.