Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim.. Tim.. is offline

Default Options for simple Kitchen Fluorescent light upgrade?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article .com,
"jkn" writes:
Hi all
One of those questions where 'not enough' information is gonna be
supplied, I'm afraid ...

We're having the kitchen ceiling re-boarded & skimmed shortly. I will
be taking down the current light and pull-switch in preparation. I
would like to replace the existing 5 foot standard contract fluorescent
fitting with something a little better, either aesthetically and/or
functionally; yet just at the moment I really don't want to spend long
on making any changes.

You have wall mounted cupboards with a gap between the tops
and the ceiling, so the best thing to do is to install fittings
out of sight on top of the cupboards, and use indirect light
bouncing off the ceiling to light the room. This scheme works
extremely well.

I have a variaton to this, kinda.

I dont have any space betwixt top of units and ceiling, so I cut a 4x5 foot
oval from MDF and mouted it in the center of the ceiling 3 inches from it.
On top of this board are 4x20w compact under-cupbard style fluro's around
its periphery on one circuit.

Flush mounted into the center of the board are 4x 35w 12v halogen eyeballs
which give me directional light onto the table below, and cooker.

Works a treat .

Tim..