Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Options for simple Kitchen Fluorescent light upgrade?

Hi all
One of those questions where 'not enough' information is gonna be
supplied, I'm afraid ...

We're having the kitchen ceiling re-boarded & skimmed shortly. I will
be taking down the current light and pull-switch in preparation. I
would like to replace the existing 5 foot standard contract fluorescent
fitting with something a little better, either aesthetically and/or
functionally; yet just at the moment I really don't want to spend long
on making any changes.

So for the moment altering the wiring (much), or extending to make a
'proper' job of it, is not on. Instead ... I'm looking for ways to
improve the appearance and maybe utility of the current scheme with
minimal work. The kind of things I'm thinking of a

- a 'deluxe' fluorescent fitting, just for appearances sake. Are there
such things?
- maybe replacing the single 5 footer with a couple of shorter
'staggered' ones, or something similar
- a genius idea that I haven't thought of and which will amaze me!

OK, a little bit more info. The kitchen is 2.5m by 2.6m, with a window
facing east. There are standard cupboards (with a gap to the ceiling)
on the N wall. The kitchen is actually one half of a kitchen/diner;
there is a similar-sized room (with a similar Fluorescent) connected on
the W side.

The current Fluorescent is in the middle of the kitchen ceiling,
running E-W. I think the joists run this way.

As I say, not enough information! Nevertheless, any thoughts?

Thanks a lot
Jon N