Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Hanging (residential) doors

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news

Uhhh... Duh...

I've done at least 50 of them, but I never actually stopped to think
about it. As far as I know, there's no particular standard, so long
as they are set to the same depth. I put the backside of the hinge
1/4" from the edge of the door,

but it's more what just looks right on
the first one, and then mortising the others to match than any hard
and fast rule. If I remember correctly (though it was about ten years
ago, so my recollection is a little hazy) I got the 1/4" figure from
just measuring the distance on another door that was already hanging.
Double-checking the doors in my house just now is kind of re-enforcing
that memory- they're all at 1/4".

The 1/4" is what I have measured on the doors in my house and I did find a
site that actually said. 1/4".

You don't even really need a template, though it might be easier. I'd
feel pretty confident suggesting that you just set a combination
square to 1/4", then run it down the edge of the door where your hinge
is going with a pencil seated in the groove on the end, then mark your

horizontal measurements.

I'm considering doing 6 or 7 doors. A router template should take about ten
minutes to make. Worth the time.