Posted to alt.home.repair
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

Default Finishing a Basement

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:38:36 GMT, lid (nateneu2424) wrote:

Handy man in traing here. I have a few questions in regards to
finishing a basement?

1) metal vs wood studs. I've never had a problem with water in
basement and was just wondering which would be the better option?

2) How far off the cement walls typically are the studs placed to
frame the walls?

3) insulation: What r-value should i be looking for living in
Michigan? Is the foam board a better option that the rolls in the
walls?

4) lastly would using greenboard be a overkill or should i just use
regular drywall.

Thanks for any help and advice,
Nate

If the basement walls get VERY cold, as they might in Michigan, you
can have some discoloration show through the drywall if metal studs
are used. It usually shows up as blackish lines.This used to be a
problem, not sure if it is still true with newer materials.