Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Service Entry Cable caused partial blackout in my house?

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:12:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
During an electrical storm one half of my house lost electricity while
the other half did not. I contacted our electric company and they said
the problem was "their equipment" which burnt out and affected part of
our "service entry cable." They said it's likely that "part" of our
service entry cable services part of our house and other parts service
the rest.

I have never heard of a partial blackout that affects only some
circuits. Can anyone explain this in more detail?

Your house is fed with two legs at 120 volts each. If you look inside your
breaker box, you see three big wires coming in, red, black, white. The red
and black are legs of 120V, the white is the neutral. Half your circuits
are on one leg, half on the other. A 22V is on both. The power company
lost one of the legs and so did you.

22 volts???????
You must be using metric !!!!

I wonder if it hurt when the power company lost one of it's legs?
OUCH

Mark