Bob Swinney

Default Block in boat - OT, NO metal just brain

Wow! So if I unclamp my outboard motor, tie a rope to it and toss it
overboard, then I'll ride higher in the water so I can cast further!

By golly, Don! You finally got one right. This here physics stuff ain't so
hard is it?

Bob Swinney

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:28:16 -0800, Ken Cutt
wrote:

Mark wrote:

Peter Reilley wrote:

When you throw the block and rope into the water, you have, in

effect, changed the shape of the hull, without changing its weight,
so the
amount of water displaced does not change. Therefor, the pond level
does
not change. Making the rope "weightless" or of neutral buoyancy does
not
make any difference. The water level does not change.

I believe that we have a correct answer.

What's interesting is the boat would ride higher in the water but the
level in the tank would remain the same.