Andy Hall

Default Garage Lighting

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:17:02 +0100, PoP
wrote:

I'm just doing up my garage/workshop and would appreciate advice on
what sort of lighting to put up. It's a double-width garage, one
smallish window on one side. During daylight that's sufficient but
with the evenings drawing in I'm going to be relying on candlepower
more and more.

I currently have a 100w bulb centrally, and one 40w flourescent either
side. That's sufficient for me to find my way around, but for workshop
purposes I'm wondering about how to improve the lighting so as to be
able to work comfortably.

Have thought about putting a 100w bulb in each corner (as well as the
central bulb), but that adds up to 500w of power consumption - quite a
lot relatively speaking. Perhaps someone has used other types of light
source which they could recommend.

PoP

I've used double 55W fluorescent fittings (quantity 6) at ceiling
height (2.5m) and two further at 2.1m height in the space below
where the doors open. I have timber storage racks above the garage
doors and these extra two fittings go below these. Each fitting has
a reflector and all have electronic ballasts because I am sensitive to
fluorescent light flicker from 50Hz mains. I replaced the tubes
that came with the fittings with daylight types.

I also have the walls boarded with plywood and have painted these and
the (boarded) ceiling with white emulsion.

For most activities I switch on about half of the lights, but for
certain operations needing more light, I can turn all of them on.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl