Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Component ID

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:23:58 GMT, "Dick" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I couldn't find SA102 or SA103,I did find a blank spot that was marked SA102
on the circuit board.
I removed SA101 and it tested open with my ohm meter,then I removed SA104
and it tested
short and that looks like it comes off of the power supply input. I don't
know what is right . I couldn't tell where SA101 was off from as I couldn't
follow the trace because it is on both sides of the board and had been
coated .
Is there any place a person could look up the ID numbers and find out just
what these components are ?

If the part is an overvoltage protection device, then the part number
sometimes reflects the device's spec. For example, the "51" may
suggest a breakdown voltage of 50V. The "7" may be a physical
dimension or an energy rating. Varistors are usually numbered in this
way.

FWIW, the service manuals for some Panasonic phones refer to Surge
Absorbers, but I don't remember ever encountering an SAxxx circuit
reference.

What is the model of your phone?

I went to ST's web site and I couldn't even find the number's there.
Used to be you could cross numbers from RCA,NTE.ECG books and find just
about anything
about semi conductors, but that was years ago.

NTE Cross Reference Search:
http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefSemiProd.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm

I do believe someone out there has a book , but I am having trouble finding
that someone.

I have an NTE printed catalogue from 1990-91.

Thanks

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:59:26 GMT, "Dick" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

The number is correct but it is a surface mount small block with 3 lines
on
lettering with two solder pads ,one on each end . the first line has a
logo
ST E,

ST = ST Microelectronics ?

the second line QAJ and the third has C517 . If it is a surge
arrestor ,how do I test them? With an Ohm meter ?

I would think that surge arrestors should test open circuit at normal
voltage levels. I suspect such devices would be near the tip and ring
inputs. Are there two other SAs, ie SA102 and SA103? If so, do they
have recognisable part numbers or logos?

If the devices are indeed surge arrestors, then you could probably
remove them for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:00:17 GMT, "Dick" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I am working on a Panasonic cordless phone (dead). On the main circuit
board in the base unit that are all SMD.
The parts that I need are ID'D by SA101 and SA104(I don't know what
an "SA" is).

Surge Arrestor? Does it have 2 pins?

The number on the part is QAJC517 and is black with no other
marks on it.
Thanks

The "QAJ" looks like a suffix. Are you sure the number is correct?

- Franc Zabkar

- Franc Zabkar

- Franc Zabkar