Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] manatbandq@hotmail.com is offline

Default MDF bath panel behind tiles was getting wet - shuould I be worried?

The root cause of the problem is water getting _out_ of the bath and
onto the floor in the first place. You need to fit a bigger shower
screen and/or modify your showering behaviour. A wet floor is a recipe
for disaster when stepping out of the bath. At the very least, put a
bathmat down on the floor when showering to catch any splashes and give
you a non-slip surface.

MBQ

..but there's no way in hell, ok maybe only in hell, that I'd use MDF
in a bathroom. Same applies to so-called moisture resistant chipboard
floors.

I am about to construct a bath panel to finish off my recently
decorated bathroom. I want to tile onto it, so what would be the best
material for this ?

Bath panels in my house were painted hardboard. No sign of any problems
whatsoever after 30 years. They are now tiled plywood and I dont expect
any problems with this either. Make sure it's stiff and well sealed
first oitherwise it will warp when you tile it (as I found out at first
attempt - LOL).

Where do you expect all the water to come from? If there's enough to
rot a tiled bath panel then I would be far more worried about other
things (floorboards, joists, etc) than the bath panel! We're not, after
all, talking about the panels in a shower cubicle that are regularly
soaked.

The OPs problem, as described, is caused by water escaping from the
bath during showering. He needs to first fix the cause then address the
symptoms.

MBQ