Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default $5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

"Ignoramus1064" wrote in message
Our contractor quoted us $5,000 for installation of Trane 15i air
conditioner. That includes both inside as well as outside unit.

Is that reasonable?

There are a number of factors which will drive costs. Which refrigerant
are you going with? R22 will be cheaper but there's a fear that you won't
be able to service your units in a few years as production of said
refrigerant and equipment will cease. I dunno, I can still get parts for
my 67 Ford Mustang just fine so it's not a real worry for me. The newer
refrigerant units (R-410 I believe) will cost more but supposedly will last
longer (ie. production of). That being said, all the guys that came out to
give me quotes seemed to think the R-410 was over hyped, under tested, and
not worth the extra expense. Time will tell. When the company did mine,
they had to run new supply lines through the ductwork under the house
(concrete slab), remove the old Evap. cooler, modify the furnace, and do all
the hookups. Mine's a 4 ton unit Rheem. Cost ended up being about $3400
however, I did all the electrical myself which saved about $500 off the bid
price. I got 3 quotes. The other 2 we $6500 and $10000. Both had
the electrical in them. I'd definitely recommend getting as many quotes as
reasonable to narrow the price down. Good luck.
Cheers,
cc