Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No boxes behind electrical outlets

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Speedy Jim wrote:
/Bob wrote:
We've discovered that part of our 30+ year old house has no boxes
behind the electrical outlets. The switches and outlets are just held
in position by the stiffness of the wires. Is there a straightforward
way to add boxes "after the fact" without tearing out wallboard?
Thanks for your suggestions.

/Bob

Yes, but the other question you should be asking is:
"What *else* did they do??"

Color me suspicious...

Jim

I've seen inexpert work before, but how inexperienced do you have to be
not to realize that such things as boxes exist?

Many years ago I was called to troubleshoot some outlets in a room that used
to be garage. I removed the wall plate and found that not only was the
outlet not mounted in a box, but it was wired with speaker wire. The whole
room was like that. Of course the owner did not want to pay me to make it
all right.