Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default about EXTENSION CORDS (safety)

wrote:
I posted awhile back about getting a dehumidifier for the apartment I
live in and discussed some of the pros and cons of that and the
possibility of getting an air conditioner.

Well, there is a small window in the bathroom that will accept a small
5000 BTU (1000w) air conditioning unit. I know this is very small but
my friend has a 5000 BTU unit which does a DECENT job of cooling his
studio apartment. It's not great, but better than nothing.

Problem is, on this 5000BTU Whirlpool unit I am thinking of putting in
the window. (it barely fits, but does fit.) ... there are all kinds of

warnings about NOT using an extension cord with this unit. They
mention about plugging it in within 4 feet of the unit etc....

Now, I know extension cords can have their issues, but do they make
extension cords that can handle the 1000 watt 13 amps that this unit
requires? Are they just erring on the side of safety by making the
blanket statement of NO EXTENSION CORDS! Kinda like a disclaimer sort
of thing.

Would I be able to SAFELY get and use an extension cord with this unit?

Something I could pick up at LOWES or HOME DEPOT.

Thanks

DAVID

2 thoughts on top of the 10 or so others-

1) If I were to plug something hot-n-heavy into an outlet, and wanted
the best chance of having minimal losses, I'd swap the outlet to a
commercial outlet. If it were a 20A circuit, I'd put on a 20A outlet.

2) If a suitable (outlet) circuit exists that runs reasonably near the
location, you could (or could have an electrician) convert an outlet to
a box that would then go to surface conduit that could run the outlet
to the desired location. Your landlord may go nuts over this, though.
To make this solution better, go from the 1st outlet in a chain, and
disconnect the chain. Since this is in a bathroom, the bathroom may be
on its own breaker.

3) If you supply the money, will the landlord supply an electrician to
place an outlet?