Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default about EXTENSION CORDS (safety)

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:17:16 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Now, I know extension cords can have their issues, but do they make
extension cords that can handle the 1000 watt 13 amps that this unit
requires?

Yes. ...and for good reason.

You are, sadly, probably the EXCEPTION to the rule that most consumers are
STUPID. You are already ahead of the curve having ASKED the question.

I entered a customer's mobile home during an extremely hot day to install a
telephone outlet. I moved the couch only to find that the window air
conditioner was plugged-into a "zip" cord (lamp cord ?18ga?) extension cord.

Some older extension cords used 18ga. wire, but the newer ones use 16.
The 16 CLAIMS to be able to carry 13A, but probably should have no
more than 10.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd