Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MDF bath panel behind tiles was getting wet - shuould I be worried?

David Smithz wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
David Smithz wrote:

tiling onto wet mdf is a total bodge. I'm doubtful it would last long,
though admittedly I've never tried doing this, for obvious reasons.

Well damp mdf is probably a better way of putting it.
And when you say it wont last long, do you think the tiles would just fall
off over time? Or will the wood rot away. At least if the tiles fell off,
then I could put let it dry this time and put it back on.

I've already shelled out lots of money on this set up and it's causing me
stress thinking that it will all be for nothing.

What should I do?

Any other thoughts or opinions.

Cheers

What should I do is a good question. The proper solution is to remove
all the mdf and use something suitable, which I gather would mean
retiling. If the patch affected is small, it might be tempting to try
and bodge it back in the knowledge that it will fall off later on,
giving you enough time to sort out suppplies and time to do it
properly.

NT