Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default Well Water Pump Woes

Pete C. wrote:
Handyman wrote:

I have a water pump in my basement which is hooked up to an artesian
well. We have had a streak of unusually hot weather here (90+ degrees
with v. high humidity), which has caused the water pump to sweat so
much that condensation drips off of the holding tank, pipes and
fittings. So much water condenses that it creates large pools of water
in my basement. Is there anything that I can do about this? Is there
something wrong in the setup of my tank that causes this? I have been
chalking it up to the fact that the extremely cold water (50 degrees or
so out of the ground) condenses when it hits the walls of the tank.
Has anyone encountered this problem? How might I address it in a way
where I can eliminate the water gathering on my basement floor -I'd
like to finish the basement some day.

Insulate the tank, pipes and pump as much as possible. If the warm moist
air can't reach the cold surfaces the moisture in the air can't condense
out.

That may just push the condensation downstream, with dripping pipes after
the insulation. OTOH, he might build an airtight plastic film box around
the tank and pump. The box might have a gutter around the lower edge.
How large would it have to be to prevent condensation?

Nick