Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
stevek stevek is offline

Default UPDATE #1 -- A/C problem, need help ASAP

Notice in series with the "C" terminal on the Compressor, there is an
overload device. This is a self reseting current limit that most likely
is part of the plug that connects to the C, S, and R terminals of the
compressor (these stand for Common, Start and Run). Or it is a separate
device but in thermal contact with the compressor can. Klicks-on is a
Texas Instumentcompany that makes these. The diagram indicates "if
used" but I believe it has to be there to protect the compressor motor
in the case where it has a locked rotor from differential pressure, and
it does not have enough starting torque.
Pull the C,S, and R plug, and perform a resistance measurement between
C and S and C and R. These should be less then 10 ohm measurements.
SteveK
Ignoramus2645 wrote:
On 3 Aug 2006 04:13:49 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Ignoramus2645 :
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 03:20:53 GMT, CJT wrote:
There ought to be a diagram somewhere, and some markings on the
capacitor, that will tell you what you need to know. Anything else
is just guessing.

Yea. Great idea. Here's the diagram:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/AC-Compressor/diagram.jpg

It is actually very straightforward.

And -- you can see the time delay module under the varnish (or
whatever) at the bottom right of the diagram -- in series with the
contactor coil, and an optional switch in which the high pressure side
of the refrigerant pump can prevent start even if the timer has timed
out. (But -- that is described as "optional", and the delay timer (as
much as I can make out under the varnish) is not described as
"optional", but it *is* described as "accessory" -- so I suspect that
you have two failures -- the compressor, and the delay timer which
induced the compressor failure, and which will induce it again if not
replaced when the compressor is replaced.

It looks as though there is only one set of contacts in the
contactor, and the other set of terminals serves simply as a terminal
strip to carry the other side of the 240 VAC over without switching it.

This is *not* a good time of the year to have an air conditioner
fail -- and also not a good time to try to get a licensed professional
out to work on it.

You might save one round trip (probably with significant delays)
if you warn them ahead of time that the compressor is likely dead. If
you can, dig up the numbers from the compressor case -- or if you can't
get to that, at least the model number of the overall device.

I am now convinced that it is true, the compressor unit is dead. These
guys that service my equipment are in my town, a trip should not be
too much for them, and also, after looking at the outside unit, I
think that I want something better.