Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88 mrsgator88 is offline

Default how much for an architect?

"mrsgator88" wrote in message
. ..
"dkhedmo" wrote in message
ink.net...
We should be closing on our new/first home in a few weeks. 1950's ranch
in upstate NY. I was thinking it could be a good idea to have an
architect draw up plans for remodeling/additions, as sort of a master
plan we could chip away at over the years, and also to avoid making
changes then realizing we should have done A differently in order to
accommodate B, etc. Any idea how much that kind of thing would cost?

-Karen-

You're going about this all wrong.

Take a pencil and paper, and draw out what you like. Look at it every so
often, make your changes. A few years later you'll have a pretty good
idea of what you want and by then you'll be ready to do it.

Then bring it to an architect. He'll do the things you don't know how to.
Like plan the wiring, plumbing, and HVAC lines. Because you don't know
about those and many other things, your plans will be different than what
you expected. Make some adjustments over the next couple of years, and
then start construction.

Then, halfway through, you'll start to see all the things you wish you did
differently.

(been there, doing that)

Oh, the price. Should be $3000 - $10,000. Expect it to be at the higher
end if you tell him he's drawing plans that you won't use until the next
decade.