Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default A/C problem, need help ASAP

"Ignoramus2645" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 03:21:45 GMT, Oscar_Lives wrote:

"Ignoramus2645" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 02:48:24 GMT, Oscar_Lives
wrote:

"Ignoramus2645" wrote in message
. ..
I have a central A/C. Around when there was a thunderstorm,
electricity flickered about 2-3 times in our house.

Now our A/C is not working. The inside is all fine, the fan runs
etc.

I am doing investigation and will post in this thread, but the
breaker
popped and any attempt to reset it pops it again. I tried to measure
amps with my ammeter, it was quite hard to do due to breaker popping
soon, but the highest measure I got was about 200 amps.

I am going to open up the case now to have a quick look, I will be
running back and forth. My hope is that it is something simple like
capacitor shorted, but it easily could be worse (eg motor shorted).

Have your buddy hold the breaker handle over for a while so the
current
can
stabilize and you can get a better reading.

I tried it, and I think that the breaker is good enough to reset
despite that. In any case, it is kind of pointless, as I know that the
current is too large and lasts too long.

I tried asking my wife to turn on the CB while I was outside, I heard
some humming noise and then stop.

Turn up the "squelch" knob on the CB. That ought to stop the humming
and
noise.

10-4 good buddy!

Sounds like you are not going to be helpful.

You get what you pay for. Hire a tech and get it fixed. hang out on the
world wide web and be entertained.

Cheap ****.

I am giving about 60% that I can diagnose it tonight.

Ok, lets say that you *DO* figure out what the problem is... do you have the
correct parts on your truck to actually make the repair?