Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ignoramus2645 Ignoramus2645 is offline

Default UPDATE #1 -- A/C problem, need help ASAP

Some new developments.

1. The main 24VAC coil contactor is fine, I must have mis-measured
something.

2. I understand why there are three terminals on the capacitor. There
are really two capacitors in one "can". They share a common. One
capacitor is for fan and another is for the main compressor motor.

3. If I disconnect one lead to the capacitor (a fat blue lead), then,
if my wife resets the breaker, the cooling fan starts up just fine and
I hear humming noise from the motor. I did not let that continue for
much more than 2 seconds.

My conclusion is that most likely, the capacitor for the main motor is
shot.

Q U E S T I O N S:

1. Anyone know how to calculate required capacitance by "rated amps"
of the motor? (I realize that motors are all different, but I need
some way to guesstimate)

2. Do the two coexisting caps share a common terminal, or does one of
them have one contact on top and another being the (grounded) can?

Answers will be appreciated.

More to follow.