Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ignoramus2645 Ignoramus2645 is offline

Default A/C problem, need help ASAP

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:09:02 -0500, Ron Moore wrote:
Well, the contactor's apparently bad. Start there. Been there, done that.

Hi Ron.

I think that I was wrong. The contactor is OK. I must have mismeasured
something. It has zero ohms across bost pairs of contacts.

I am going to post a little update, it is a little more apparent to
me -- see my separate post.

Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Ignoramus2645" wrote in message
It is quite obviously not very relevant, but there is very solid 24
VAC as input to the contactor's coil.

One pair of contacts (across the contactor) measures 0 ohm. Another
pair, strangely, measures infinity, which is quite strange as the
contactor ought to be closed for a power fault like this to occur
(barring some very strange troubles). I left the outside unit due to
the rain that resumed, will come back there soon.

I am not used to seeing such strange contactors, all contactors that I
dealt with, to date, were three pole contactors for 3 phase motors.

Also, can someone explain me why the capacitor has three sets of
terminals. What is the purpose of the third terminal. Thanks.

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 02:37:39 GMT, Ignoramus2645
wrote:
I have a central A/C. Around when there was a thunderstorm,
electricity flickered about 2-3 times in our house.

Now our A/C is not working. The inside is all fine, the fan runs etc.

I am doing investigation and will post in this thread, but the breaker
popped and any attempt to reset it pops it again. I tried to measure
amps with my ammeter, it was quite hard to do due to breaker popping
soon, but the highest measure I got was about 200 amps.

I am going to open up the case now to have a quick look, I will be
running back and forth. My hope is that it is something simple like
capacitor shorted, but it easily could be worse (eg motor shorted).